Monday, June 21, 2010

Michigan or Bust

Our big family vacation this year was to drive to Michigan to see my parents, along with family along the way. My dad will be retiring next year and they'll be moving somewhere south (hopefully here!), so we figure this will be our last time to ever be in the town where I grew up and relive some childhood memories.
I have to say, growing up I thought Midland was B-O-R-I-N-G!!!! And well, it is, but not when you're all grown up and have kids of your own! We hit all the hot spots in town and had a blast just enjoying the cool Michigan weather. We played outside all the time; basketball, climbing trees, running, riding bikes, taking walks - it was FABULOUS!!!! I hate that we can only do those things in Arkansas before 8am, when it turns to a furnace.
So....a photo journal of our trip....


First stop, Grandma and Grandpa's house!!! We were so excited for them to meet Eli for the first time. We got to see lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins, too. (Eli spit up on most of them.)






Next stop, MICHIGAN!!!!!!!!!

The whole Willis clan after church on Sunday. We haven't all been together in Midland since Rachel's wedding 10 1/2 years ago!
We couldn't all fit around the table, so the kids got to eat outside, which they loved!





Of course, we had to visit the Tridge! They've added an awesome play area since I had been there last.

Poor kid, he doesn't get to do anything fun!




All six grandkids:
More hanging around the house:

A HUGE attraction for the week - climbing the tree that we used to climb when we were little.



Grandma is the coolest - she made Mickey Mouse pancakes!!!!!




Hitting the downtown area:
We had to stop at Pizza Sam's for ice cream:

More hanging out:

This was the first time Keira got to feed Eli - she was very excited, despite her mad face!

Midland Center for the Arts:




The Fun Zone:




More hanging out: (playing Shanghi, of course!)

Chippewa Nature Center:
It was really cold and I forgot to pack a blanket, so Eli got to wear what I could find in the diaper bag - an extra onesie and two burp cloths.


Eli pretty much just sat there while we walked around. I just thought it made a funny picture.

Bath time in the sink:
Dow Gardens: (yea for getting to see Sonja!)















Great Lakes Loons minor league baseball game:



And that was it for Michigan. On our way back to Arkansas, we stopped in Bowling Green for my cousin's 30th birthday party and got to see a lot of people from my Dad's side of the family that we don't see very often, including Grandaddy!

Whew!!!!! It was a whirlwind trip that I'll never forget. The boys did an amazing job traveling; Ethan watched Elmo most of the way and Eli slept most of the way. And as always, Lonnie did a great job driving the whole time!
I will miss Michigan soooooo much!

No comments: