Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Kids Say the Darndest Things

I got a good laugh at school today - thought I'd share it with you...

My classroom is next door to the Behavior Classroom. Several times throughout the day we'll hear shouting, screaming, and banging on the walls. My kids have learned how to tune it out quite well. Shortly after recess, we heard someone screaming in the hallway, but didn't think much of it. About an hour later, one of my students randomly raised his hand and said, "Mrs. Lamp, we heard your baby crying earlier." Several other students smiled and nodded their heads in agreement. Let me tell you, it took everything I had to not crack up. But I wanted to play this out a little. I asked them who else heard my baby cry, and 6 other kids raised their hands. Can you believe that? It's so hard to remember that they're only 6 or 7 years old, and I have to try to look at things in their eyes. How could they know that a baby in-utero can't cry? When would they have learned that? So we had a nice little discussion about what babies do when they're in their momma's bellies. It went well with the lesson we had yesterday about how baby is taking up so much room in my belly that he's squishing my lungs, which makes it hard to breathe. These kids are learning so much more than they ever bargained for!

No comments: