Sunday, March 21, 2010

Eli's Birth Story

We were scheduled to be at the hospital on Wednesday, March 17th at 5:30am, which meant a sleepover for Ethan at the Grubbs! We took him over there Tuesday night and tucked him into bed, then headed home to TRY to get a good night's sleep.
We got to the hospital right on time and the nurses were ready for us! I signed all the paperwork, changed into my gown, and started the pitocin. Rachel had predicted we'd have the baby between 11:30-12:30, so she was on a mission! She kept walking over to the machine and cranking up the pitocin. Ha! It helps having connections. The nurse checked me as we were getting started, and I was already at 4cm and 70% effaced, so we figured it would go quickly.
At 7:45, Rachel and Lonnie went downstairs to have breakfast, and missed all the action; Dr. Sarver showed up and broke my water and checked me - 6 cm! At 8:30 I got my epidural. By 10:00 I was 8, then complete at 11:00!

Backtrack to 9:45ish...My epidural was good, but I could still feel everything on my left side, so we called the anesthesiologist and she gave me some extra good stuff, and boy did that work! I was SOOOO numb that it competely freaked me out. Rachel and Lonnie were laughing at me; I kept saying the same thing over and over again - "I can't feel ANYTHING!" and "I don't like it!"

Fastforward to 11:00...I still couldn't feel A THING. AT ALL. So when they said I was complete, I was worried that I wouldn't even be able to push. So we didn't rush it - let nature take it's course so I would have to push only a minimal amount. They called Dr. Sarver and she made her way over. By the time she got there it was about 11:25. Once she was dressed and ready, I pushed one time and Eli was delivered at 11:31!!! Now that's the way to do it! I will forever be a fan of drugs.

I LOOOOOOOVE that my sister 1. lives here and 2. is a labor and delivery nurse. What could be better? I know we could do it without her, but it is SOOOO nice having her there, explaining everything along the way, using her connections to get stuff done, and the fact that she can do stuff that normally only the nurses do. After Eli was delivered, Rachel was able to assess Eli, do his footprints, clean him up, etc. I love that he got his aunt to take care of him in his first few minutes of life.

So, I guess that about sums up his delivery. We were discharged Thursday around 2ish. Once we got home and settled, Lonnie went to get Ethan from daycare. He was a little skeptical of having Eli around at first, but he's warmed up and likes to help by giving Eli his paci (even when he doesn't need it), and giving him kisses on the top of his head.

We're doing well now, on Day 5. Eli's been jaundiced, so we had to go back on Friday and Saturday to get it checked, and it's risen each day. We're getting close to the point of having to put him under lights, so hopefully when we go back tomorrow his numbers will look better. I don't want to have his little feet pricked anymore!
Eli's sleeping well at night for the most part. The first night he wouldn't sleep unless he was being held, but we haven't had that problem since then. He's been sleeping in a bassinett in our room and Lonnie and I are taking turns with feedings, so it's not so bad.

Lonnie will be home for the next two weeks - yeah!

So that's our life these days!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great and fast day!!! Good for you! He is so sweet! I cried at the slideshow. I wish you all the best with your 2 boys!!!!

Carrie said...

you mean to tell me you only pushed ONCE??? Oh. My. Gosh. I envy you!!! I hope my next baby (if I have another baby) transitions quickly into this world like Eli did :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on baby Eli! Glad it went well and everyone is doing good.