Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The truth comes out...

Last Wednesday I had a high fever. Since then I've had a REALLY sore throat (worse than I can remember having before). A couple of weeks ago several of my students had Fifths Disease (along with a bunch of other first graders and kindergarteners at my school). Monday, another student of mine was out with it, and today, another one went home sick with it. Right after I sent her home, I looked down at my own arms and noticed a lovely little rash. Later, a teacher came in my room and told me my cheeks looked red.

FINALLY, I put two and two (and two and two) together and made a quick trip to the nurse's office. Sure enough, I have Fifths Disease!

Okay, I 'm sure most of you are saying, what in the world is Fifths Disease? In five years of teaching, this is my first time to hear of it. It is a highly contagious "disease" that causes a really red rash all over the arms and bright red cheeks. Other symptoms may vary, but usually you'll have congestion, fever, and sometimes a sore throat. It affects different people in different ways. I've heard that in adults it can cause you to be very, very achey. Unfortunately, you don't know you have it until it's too late. Once the rash appears, you're no longer contagious.

So, my first thought was, did I pass it on to Ethan? Our school nurse was wonderful and looked up some info for me, and it sounds like infants don't usually contract the disease. So he should be okay. He has been a little congested lately, but I doubt that it's related. Only time will tell.

Weird, huh?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

What?!? No pics of your rash??

JUST KIDDING:-) So, are you home or working thru it??? Feel better don't give it to your boys!!!