Thursday, February 21, 2008

Feeding Blues

Well, I'm learning that there's not as much time to blog as there used to be. Here's what we've been up to the last few days...

Our biggest issue right now is eating. Ethan is not a big fan of nursing. I was getting concerned that he wasn't getting enough to eat, so we went to our one week check up a few days early on Tuesday. Ethan weighed 7 pounds and 11 ounces, which the doctor said is still in the normal range, but not great. He wanted us to come back in 48 hours to check his weight again. We went this morning, and he weighed 7 pounds and 12 ounces. We thought he'd weigh more than that, since we had changed a few things with his eating. We've been supplementing with formula and having him eat more frequently. We even went yesterday to see a Lactation Consultant and got some good advice, so we were a little disappointed that he hadn't gained more weight. But the doctor said it's still okay - we'll go back again on Monday to check his weight again. SO...we're hoping that this all gets better soon (for his health and for our sanity).

Aside from that, Ethan's doing great! He's a great sleeper and is content most of the time (anytime that doesn't involve eating).

Here are a few random pictures from the last few days.

I went in to check on Ethan the other day and found him like this. I guess after washing his hair, we forgot to pull his shirt back up over his shoulders. I'm surprised I didn't wake him up from laughing so hard! (We blame that on Aunt Rachel - she gave him his bath!)


Ethan is looking a little jaundiced, so the doctor recommended a little sunbathing! Luckily, the weather cooperated and we were able to get a little sunshine on his skin.
Lonnie's cousin's wife is expecting any day now, so she came over to get the low-down on the delivery and get in a little practice time before her sweet little boy comes. (Does that make her Ethan's second cousin-in-law????)
I washed his hair all by myself!!!! I'm getting braver every day. :)
I LOVE this face!!!!!!!!!!
That's right, my son is one week old and reading!!!! He's going to be SOOOO smart! ;)

4 comments:

Crystal_King said...

Awwww! I love the picture of me and Ethan! I mean, I can't believe how HUGE I look, but regardless, so sweet! The other pictures are great too! Carl still wants to stop by as soon as he gets a chance to also get in some practice!!

So, I haven't updated my blog yet (yesterday I stayed home from work because my feet were so swollen I coudln't walk!) There is NO PROGRESS! I wasn't dilated at all! I was so bummed I was almost in tears! But, I go back on Monday which is only a few days away for another ultrasound to measure his weight and from there schedule something. At least then I'll know. I'm so ready for him to be here!

Hang in there with the feedings and don't give up! I'm sure after a few weeks everything will fall into place. I love seeing all the pictures and we'll be seeing you soon. I'll definitely give you a call in the next few days so Carl can come and hold precious baby Ethan!!! Have a good day!

Margaret said...

Sorry you're not feeling well, Crystal. Hang in there! Maybe you'll make some progress over the weekend. Long walks, bumpy roads, you know... (although none of that worked for us)

It'll be here before you know it!

Nicole said...

awww... I hate to hear that the nursing thing isn't going as smoothly as hoped (it's hard on top of having a new baby, recovering, trying to rest.. it all adds up to exhaustion and stress). Hang in there... Things will fall into place as the weeks go by...

LOVE the new pics...and updates... love ya and miss you!!!

Grubb Family said...

SUPER CUTE!!!!