Thursday, February 21, 2008

Urgent Prayer Request

***3rd UPDATE***

Danny seems to have improved a lot since last night. He was up and walking around this afternoon when Lonnie went to go see him. His right arm is a lot stronger than it was yesterday and his hand is growing stronger as well. Lonnie said yesterday he could hardly understand what his dad was saying, but today he could understand about 75% of his words. The speech therapist was there as Lonnie was leaving, so we don't know an official update on that yet.

We took Danny this picture in a frame that said "I Love my Grandpa," and Lonnie said that seemed to cheer him up.

So, things are looking up. We know God has answered our prayers, and we appreciate everyone's continued prayers.
***2nd UPDATE***
The man from our church that is a brain surgeon was able to do his own assessment and give us a lot of good information. Danny is able to stand up and walk, and it looks like he's able to move everything as normal except for his right hand. He is able to understand everything, but unable to communicate effectively at this point.
Best case... Danny could regain 90-95% of everything within 6 months.
Worst case... The stroke could continue in the upcoming hours and days and cause further damage.
As of now, it looks like Danny will stay in ICU for the next few days and then go to a rehabilitation center possibly for a week before coming home.

He did say that Danny was "lucky" for it to have happened the way it did. He mentioned that a stroke was probably inevitable, with the kind of blockage that he had. So if he hadn't had the surgery scheduled, he could have had a stroke at home, and taken much longer to get medical attention.

Thanks to everyone for their prayers. Keep the family in your prayers in the upcoming days and weeks as Danny recovers.

_____

***UPDATE***
It looks like he did have a stroke. Lonnie made it to the hospital and Danny recognized him, but couldn't say anything to him. That's about all we know right now. There is a man at our church who is a brain surgeon, and he had just arrived at the hospital when Lonnie was calling me, so hopefully he can get some more info for us. I'll post more later.

_____

Lonnie's dad had surgery this morning on his carotid artery to take care of some blockage. We heard this morning that the surgery went well, but Lonnie's mom just called and said that he's not doing well. One side of his face is droopy and she can't understand anything he's saying. We don't know if that means he's had a stroke or not. The doctors that performed his surgery this morning are in another surgery, so she hasn't been able to talk to a doctor yet.

Lonnie left just a few minutes ago to be with them. Please be praying for Danny to be okay, and for Shirley as she is waiting to find out more information.

(and keep me in your prayers, too, as I'm now at home alone with Ethan, which makes me very nervous, especially knowing that Lonnie is at least a 30 minute drive away if I need him)



Thanks in advance for your prayers! I'll try to post later if I find out anything.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh wow! We will definitely be praying for Lonnie's Dad! I don't even know why I checked your blog again but I'm glad I did...

As for winging it alone.. I cried (okay, more like hysterically hyperventilated) the morning Trev left me all by myself with Parker. The first few hours I was terrified but after that, it was fun and I realized I had a roomie all the time! You'll do great! You're a natural!

PLEASE let us know how Lonnie's dad is doing...

Nicole said...

thanks for the updates... Hopefully Danny will stabilize and there won't be any further damage... that will be our prayer anyway!

how are you holding up? Hope Ethan is being good and eating well for you!

keep posting!

Anonymous said...

Danny is in our prayers. Let Josh or I know if you all need anything at all.

Crystal_King said...

I was glad to read more information this morning about Danny. Laura called us last night and briefly filled us in about what happened. You're all in our thoughts and prayers.

So are they saying that the stroke happened due to the surgery? I'm happy that he was able to get the quick medical attention needed. Please let us know if you guys need anything at all or if there's anything we can do. We're only a few streets away and we're there for you guys!